The total sum raised by Staff via sponsorship for the PINK DAY was £15,000 and Specialist Joinery Group added to the sum making a grand total of £18,000.
On occasions like this, it is incredibly difficult to decide which charities to support, especially when many of our people and their families have been directly affected by Cancer and have been supported by brilliant volunteers and organisations. We decided to commit our money to local cancer charities and support initiatives who could guarantee that the money would go directly to help those effected by cancer.
Our annual family day event seemed like the ideal occasion to present these donations to the chosen benefactors. The charities and their representatives who attended are listed below;
- Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust, Mr Colin Bell – http://kevinbellrepatriationtrust.com/
- Foyle Hospice, Mr Kevin McMonagle – http://foylehospice.com/
- Charis Cancer, Dr Glancy – http://www.chariscancercare.org/
- Royal Victoria Hospital, Children’s Cancer Unit, Children’s Cancer Charity, Jacqueline Wilson – http://childrenscancerunit.com/
- Altnagelvin Breast Screening Unit, Marietta Conor – http://www.westerntrust.hscni.net/services/Breastscreening.htm
- MacMillan Men’s Cancer Initiatives & Support Groups, Iris McKeown – https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Karen Trainor & Colin Lindsay of Specialist Joinery Group present Noel McMonagle of Foyle Hospice with a cheque for £3,000.
PINK DAY – How the money was raised!
Staff decked out in all types of pink regalia and the Fancy Dress competition became rather competitive. There were some show stopping outfits, all in the spirit of the occasion!
A sausage roll eating competition, provided belly busting lunchtime entertainment for over 100 staff who assembled for the competition on our shop floor.
The event closed with a Lorry Pull through Maghera Main Street. We received fantastic support throughout the gruesome journey from family and friends who were dotted along the route. Locals were also drawn out from their homes attracted by a fine spectacle of pink!
The Specialist Team wish to take this opportunity to acknowledge each and every person who contributed to our fundraising and thank them sincerely for helping us make this event an outstanding success.